- Castronova, Edward: Virtual Worlds: A First-Hand Account of Market and Society on the Cyberian Frontier
- Abstract of report on the economy of Everquest, arguing that this virtual world has as real an economy as most nation states. Full text by subscription only.
- Goldstein, Jeffrey. "Does Playing Violent Video Games Cause Aggressive Behavior?"
- Quick and very sharp critique of the validity of recent research on video games and violence.
- Kennerly, David. "Fun is Fine: Toward a Philosophy of Game Design"
- Argues that honest game design begins and ends with "fun" considered philosophically.
- Richard A. Bartle. "Players Who Suit MUDs"
- Discusses whether MUDs are games, pass times, sports or entertainments and suggests four kinds of player: achiever, explorer, socializer or killer.