- Great Renaming from Wikipedia
- What the Great Renaming was, who did it, and what hierarchies were removed and created.
- The Big Eight Newsgroup Creation Process
- Documents the ancient process to create, rename, remove, or change the moderation status of newsgroups in the Big Eight hierarchies. Currently, the management is done by the Big-8.org team. Written by Russ Allbery
- USENET Software: History and Sources
- A Usenet post by Gene Spafford, archived 9 February 1998 by the Institute of Information and Computing Sciences. A useful historical summary, particularly in terms of the software used for usenet.